WELCOME TO NORTH STAR VILLAGE
North Star Village is a non-profit organization that helps older adults remain safely and happily in their homes for as long as possible. We do this by coordinating volunteers who can provide assistance for daily tasks as well as companionship. Our caring community encourages social connections and promotes healthy, vibrant, and meaningful living.
Information on the Administrative Assistant Position:
Administrative Assistant for North Star Village
Part time -15 hours a week
The successful candidate must pass a background check and sign a confidentiality agreement. The Village will strive to maintain sufficient financial support from membership fees and fundraising efforts to continue this position past 2019.
We provide volunteer services and offer activities that enable Village members to continue to live at home and remain active as they age. We serve residents in North, upper NW and inner NE Portland under the umbrella of Villages NW, a 501(c)3 non profit. Villages NW is the hub for 6 existing and 4 developing Villages in the Portland metro area. North Star Village is a spoke project of Villages NW. Our Village opened in October 2017 and has 67 members and more than 40 active volunteers. A Governing Council oversees all Village operations.
North Star Village (NSV) seeks a part-time Administrative Assistant to provide the day-to-day continuity necessary to keep service functions running smoothly, Monday through Friday. NSV has no office, so the successful candidate will work remotely. The assistant will coordinate with volunteers who handle office and phone tasks. This is a ‘hands-on’ position that involves daily interaction with members and volunteers and requires the ability to find workable solutions for situations that are not easily anticipated. This position is a bridge between members, volunteers and the general public.
- •Provide quality customer service to members, volunteers and the general public.
- •Use Club Express software to manage member and volunteer information and request services.
- •Manage service requests, matching volunteers with member’s needs. Follow up with individuals as needed.
- •Oversee phone and email inquiries and troubleshoot issues.
- •Develop and maintain accurate records (both digital and paper).
- •Ensure the security and confidentiality of Village records and information.
- •Prepare some of the reports required by NSV and Villages NW.
- •Use office-related technology including word-processing software, email programs, voicemail programs etc.; recommend purchases and upgrades as needed.
- •Working along with our phone-answering volunteers, provide information about North Star Village history, policies and operating procedures; and serve as a resource for general information about the Village concept, Villages NW and other Villages in the Portland metro area.
- •Perform other duties as assigned.
- •Experience providing administrative support in a professional environment.
- •Excellent people skills, and ability to work well in a team.
- •High proficiency with word-processing software and office technology (computers, printers and scanners.)
- •Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- •Ability to be self-directed.
- •Ability to prioritize and manage multiple demands effectively.
- •Familiarity with email management programs.
Highly helpful experience:
- •Working with seniors or other vulnerable populations.
- •Working with volunteers.
- •Working with scheduling and database software.
- •Working with Excel or similar spreadsheets.
- •Working with Gmail and Google Voice.
- •Working with Mail Chimp.
- •Working with AdWords.
- •Working with PDF files.
- •Working with DropBox and/or One Drive.
- •Working in a remote office.
Compensation and Work Schedule
The position is budgeted for 15 hours a week at $13-15.00 an hour, depending on experience, without overtime. Monday through Friday work coverage is needed, and typically 1-2 hours a day is spent managing service requests and related communications with members and volunteers. Work days and hours are flexible, and time off will be negotiated. Reports to Chair of Governing Council or their assignee.
To apply, submit your resume plus a letter of interest describing how your skills and background fit this position, by 8 pm, September 4, 2018. Email it to Marianne LaBarre at email@example.com. She is your contact for questions about this position.
Need driving to a doctor's appointment? Small repair? Conversation over a potluck? North Star Village can offer this & more!
Hear how North Star Village has become an integral part of life for its members.